Data sources used for this report appear at the very bottom of the page.
SUNDAY, MAY 24 – Here is today’s COVID-19 update with new numbers, projections, and links to positive and useful news (near the bottom of the page.) Stay safe, wash your hands, take your Vitamin D, and don’t be a spreader!
Notes on Georgia test data: Per the Georgia Department of Public Health, The State of Georgia is combining both molecular tests (testing people to see if they have the disease at the time of testing) and serology tests (testing people for antibodies to see if they had the disease in the past) into its “Total Tests” figure. At this point in time, they are not yet publishing separate numbers for these two kinds of tests.
Notes on Case Fatality Rates: The fatality rates listed above represent the Case Fatality Rates (or “CFR“) in each geography. CFR is calculated by dividing the number of confirmed fatalities by the number of confirmed infections (people who have tested positive.) The actual fatality rate of people who become infected with COVID-19, also known as the Infected Fatality Rate (or “IFR“) is undoubtedly lower than the CFR, because many people have presumably become infected but did not get tested for the disease. As of right now, however, we have no good data to tell us what the IFR might be.
Observations on Today’s Numbers
- The seven-day average of new cases in the United States had been trending downward since April 25, but as of May 18 it has remained relatively flat.
- The seven-day average for daily deaths continues to move downward. It’s now at 45% of the peak that occurred on April 21.
- This week’s total deaths (8,200 people) is the lowest weekly fatality total since April 5.
- The seven-day trends for new cases and deaths are moving upward.
- The seven-day average for daily deaths has been increasing since May 13.
- This week’s total fatalities (218 people) is higher than last week’s total.
- The seven-day average for daily new cases has been increasing since May 18.
Projections Based on Doubling Periods
Note: The following maps are interactive. You can hover over and click on elements to see additional data. For example, hover over a county to see data for that county, or click the word “Fatalities” to change the map to show per capita deaths.
Positive and Useful News
In an effort to provide some relief from the endless stream of scary news about COVID-19, these daily updates will include links to any available positive or constructive news related to this disease. Here are today’s links:
Treatments, Testing, Tracking, and Vaccines
- Thailand Begins Coronavirus Vaccine Trials On Monkeys
- Coronavirus: Oxford scientists warn about vaccine trial success
- Coronavirus Vaccine News: Oxford University Latest
- Remdesivir Data from NIAID Trial Published
- Remdesivir drug shows promising results in coronavirus treatment: US study
- The Promise of Antibody Treatments for Covid-19
Masks, Ventilators, and Personal Protective Equipment
- Adoption of CPAP Devices services Witnessing an Upsurge Amid Covid-19 Pandemic
- More than 80% fewer people on ventilators in Louisiana
Other Useful and Interesting News
- Dogs trained to help identify positive COVID-19 cases
- How Safe Are Pets from Coronavirus?
- Coronavirus: ‘Baffling’ observations from the front line – BBC News
- COVID-19 Cases in U.S. | CDC
- US Historical Data | The COVID Tracking Project
- COVID-19 Dashboard by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University (JHU)
- United States Coronavirus – Worldometer
- Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline – BNO News
- COVID-19/Coronavirus Real Time Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada
- COVID-19 Daily Status Report | Georgia Department of Public Health
- U.S. Census Bureau QuickFacts: Georgia
- COVID-19 Case Mapper at BigLocalNews.org